Friday, January 10, 2014

12 Books To Read While Getting Sober

So you’ve decided to quit drinking . Here are 12 titles to get you through your first 30 days.


The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell


The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell


Joseph Campbell's The Man with a Thousand Faces was really important to me in my early sobriety. It showed me that my problems weren't that special, that I was dealing with problems as old as humanity. It also helped me understand how spiritual concepts work without deities. The problem is, the book is really dry and dull. Check out The Power of Myth, which is much more accessible, and if you're really into it, check out his other works.


Via upload.wikimedia.org


Post Office by Charles Bukowski


Post Office by Charles Bukowski


Finding a job while newly sober can be difficult. You will likely find a bad one. So here's the best bad-job novel ever: Post Office. The bonus is it's written from a drunk's point of view, so you should relate. It's easy to read and you'll finish it quickly.


Via d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net


Mad Dog Black Lady by Wanda Coleman


Mad Dog Black Lady by Wanda Coleman


Wanda Coleman's book is my companion when I'm feeling low as can be. When sadness hits you in the face like a wet towel, this is the book you want. It's gotten me through breakups, job loss, evictions, and quitting smoking.


Via virtualvenice.info


Story: Substance, Structure, Style, and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee


Story: Substance, Structure, Style, and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee


I read Story, not to mention all the Syd Field screenwriting books, newly sober. I had bought them drunk while actually working on a screenplay that I thought I would sell and afford me a sweet rehab like Promises, where I would write my next screenplay and network it with the drugged-out celebrities. That didn't happen, but something else did: I got a lot of indirect life advice from these books. When Field or McKee talked about characters' lives, I thought of my own. When he talked about plot, I thought of my life choices.


Via kingsroad.it




View Entire List ›


No comments:

Post a Comment