Friday, August 30, 2013

Meet 13 People Who Want To Spend The Rest Of Their Lives On Mars

The Mars One program is looking for four people to establish the first human colony in outer space. Here are 13 contenders:


In April, the Mars One program announced it was in search of four people willing to travel to Mars and establish the first human colony in outer space. The lucky candidates will spend seven years training for the mission before leaving Earth in 2023, never to return.


After the settlers are established on the Red Planet, more settlers and cargo will be sent up every two years. The application deadline is Aug. 31, and so far over 100,000 have applied. BuzzFeed interviewed 13 of them via email about why they hope to be chosen.


Amulya Nidhi Rastogi, 20: "This is my purpose in life."


Amulya Nidhi Rastogi, 20: "This is my purpose in life."


Via Amulya Nidhi Rastogi



Why did you apply for Mars One?

There comes a time in a person's life when they realize their purpose and do whatever it takes to help better understand it and achieve it. This is my purpose. I've always waited and prepared myself for this opportunity.


What scares you most about the mission?

I won't be afraid of anything if I'm chosen. I'm afraid of spending the rest of my life on Earth.


What will you miss the most on Earth?

I will miss swimming the most.


What do you bring to the table?

The two things that I have and the two things that matter the most for the success of this mission are: mental stability and patience. I also have hope.


If you could bring three things with you to Mars, what would they be?

1) A gold ring my grandmother gave me; 2) a cat, and 3) South Indian food.


Fun fact: I am always trying to become Batman. To me, the seven-year training period of Mars One is similar to the seven- to eight-year training period that Bruce Wayne (Batman) went through.



Amulya's application video.





View Entire List ›


No comments:

Post a Comment